“When you rely on patience continually, you do not spoil your joyful attitude, so you are always happy even in this life. Moreover, patience stops miserable rebirths in future lives, gives special rebirths in happy realms, and ultimately bestows certain goodness, so you are utterly happy in this and future lives.”
— Tsong Khapa, The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Lam Rim Chen Mo)
Engaging in the Bodhisattva
Deeds says
If I neglect to cultivate virtue
Even when I have the good fortune to do so.
What shall I do when I am confused
By the sufferings of the miserable realms?
And also:
Saying, "Who will protect me
From this great terror?"
I will stare, aghast.
And search all around for a refuge.
Seeing no refuge anywhere,
I will be completely dejected.
If there is no refuge there.
What will I do?
Thus, from today, I go for refuge
To the Conqueror, protector of living beings.
The one who strives to rescue living beings.
The mighty one who dispels all fear.
People who are terrified
Mostly go for refuge to deities of the
Mountains, forests, temples.
And the trees of sacred places.
Such refuges are not the foremost;
Such refuges are not supreme.
If you rely on such a refuge.
You will not be freed from all suffering.
When you go for refuge to the Buddha,
The teaching, and the community.
You will see with wisdom
The four noble truths
Suffering, the origin of suffering.
Correctly overcoming suffering.
And the happy eightfold noble path
Leading to nirvana.
This is the foremost refuge;
This is the supreme refuge.
if you rely on such a refuge.
You will be freed from all suffering.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten